Shore Area NOW
Abbie Spector – President
Lynn Hansen – Treasurer; LGBTW Rights Acting Committee Head
Theresa Falcone – Co-organizer; Constitutional Equality Committee Head
Mariel Didato – Co-organizer; Repro. Rights Committee Head
Jill Stack – Recording Secretary; LGBTQ Legislation Investigator
Aimee Rabino – Recording Secretary
Laura Gesin – Twitter Manager
Kathleen Culver – Chapter Website Developer
Kelly Lozo – Chapter Website Tutor
Shore Area NOW Updates and Info:
1. Chapter netted $328.00 by fundraising at Pride Festival on June 4th in Asbury Park.
2. Next meeting is Thursday, July 27th. Contact Abbie if you have an idea for a speaker or an activity.
3. Shore Area NOW Meeting Dates for the rest of 2017 are announced on the chapter website. Contact Abbie if you have an idea for a Chapter Meeting activity or know someone who would be a good speaker for a Chapter Meeting.
4. Chapter elections are in November (November 2nd Chapter Meeting). To vote, you must be a chapter member 3 months prior (by August 2nd) so if you haven’t become a member yet, go to NOW.org and remember to “affiliate” with our Chapter #0275. If you are interested in running for an officer position, you must be a member of NOW 6 months prior to an election. We will be having a Leadership Team Meeting prior to our July 27th Chapter Meeting to discuss an election committee and officer positions and duties which will drive the direction of our Chapter in the coming year. Also, if you want to get more involved in chapter, please consider becoming a Committee Head for one of the Committees.
5. Abbie updated the group on ERA SJR 5, and shared that Financial Choice Act (H.R. 10), which NOW strongly opposes, has passed the House.
6. Committee Reports:
a. Lynn reported on the LGBTQ Rights Committee Meeting held on June 14th (see LGBTQ Rights Committee link on Shore Area NOW website for meeting notes) and announced the next committee meeting will be on August 16th. Lynn announced the committee’s intent is to focus on state legislation
b. Mariel reported on the Reproductive Rights Committee and updated the group on the failed state legislation to restore funding to Planned Parenthood. The next committee meeting will be held on July 27th prior to the Chapter Meeting.
c. Theresa announced she will be starting the Constitutional Equality Committee and that any and all are welcome to work with her.
Program: Guest Speaker for tonight’s meeting:
Ms Fluharty gave an interesting presentation on LGBTQ activism and knowing your allies, and reinforced the theme of intersectionality, stressing that LGBTQ rights are overlapped in all issues. She used her own experiences to illustrate that even well-intentioned activism should include empathy and solidarity.
Ms Fluharty is member of the Board of Pride Center in New Brunswick, and advocate working with SURGE NJ. She is an activist and outspoken critic of Chris Smith.