Shore Area NOW
Abbie Spector – President
Mariel DiDato – Vice President
Lynn Hansen – Treasurer; LGBTQ Rights Committee Head
Theresa Falcone – LGBTQ Rights Committee Pride Festival Organizer
Melissa Bennett – Violence Against Women Committee Head
Jill Stack – Recording Secretary; LGBTQ Legislation Investigator
Shore Area NOW Updates and Info:
1. Next meeting is Thursday May 3rd, and the focus will be on homelessness.
2. Asbury Pride Festival Sunday June 3rd will serve as June chapter meeting. Contact Theresa to get involved.
3. Abbie reminded the group about weekly Wednesday Vigils at Congressman Smith’s office from 4p-6p.
4. Abbie gave a legislative update including that the Equal Pay Act goes into effect July 1st
5. Lynn reported that the LGBTQ Rights Committee is working on HR2119 and S1569/A1335.
Program: Guest Speaker for tonight’s meeting:
Sue Fulton is an activist from Asbury Park, NJ. She is an army veteran who graduated from West Point and she was among the first class to admit women. Sue was a founding board member of Knights Out and OutServe, organizations for LGBT service members, and advocated to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” She was appointed to the West Point Board of Visitors by President Obama in 2011. Governor Murphy has nominated her to head the Motor Vehicle Commission.
Sue led a discussion on how she became involved in politics, how she navigated working alongside those with different beliefs, and found ways to promote positive change. She stressed the importance of finding the people who care, those who will inspire and encourage. Sue spoke about her future plans pending her confirmation as Motor Vehicle Commissioner and beyond.